Misty is an intuitive and analytical commercial litigator particularly adept at identifying and serving the best interests of each client. Her practice has a dual focus involving energy-related defense and subrogation for domestic companies and international carriers, and resolution of business and real property disputes. Clients appreciate Misty’s balanced, calm, and logical approach to complex legal issues, and her unwavering dedication to achieving the best outcome on their behalf. Outstanding handling of numerous cases from inception, through trial, and appeal, has earned Misty a coveted spot as a “Top 40 Under 40” in the National Trial Lawyers organization.
Colleagues, friends, and family uniformly attribute Misty’s courtroom successes to the fact that she is kind, compassionate, and comfortable in a room full of strangers. Those authentic traits seem inevitable considering Misty’s upbringing in McKinney, Texas, by hardworking parents and supportive extended family that includes dozens of aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents, and a great-grandmother. Misty obtained undergraduate and graduate degrees from Texas State University, and then moved to Houston to attend law school at the University of Houston Law Center. While pursuing her degrees, she worked as a legal assistant for the Texas Department of Public Safety and at a public investigation firm. She also completed internships with Congressman Henry Cuellar and the Honorable Judge David Hittner.
- Solely responsible for presentation of arguments and examination of fact and expert witnesses in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association for damages suffered in connection with a retaining wall failure.
- Second chair on trial team responsible for examining witnesses and closing argument to jury in successful defense of $1.8M contract claim for breach of first right of refusal. Assisted with appellate briefing in the Houston 14th Court of Appeals and the Texas Supreme C Second chair on trial team responsible for fact and expert witnesses in arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce regarding franchise agreements governed by Iraqi law.
- Solely responsible for successful appeal to the Houston 14th Court of Appeals (including oral argument) vacating the trial court judgment against client for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction.
- Second chair on arbitration team for breach of multi-million-dollar contracts and fraud related to steel trading transactions before the American Arbitration Association.
- Solely responsible for successful appeal to the Houston 1st Court of Appeals and Texas Supreme Court regarding Harris County Appraisal District charitable tax exemption.
- Second chair on trial team responsible for successfully prosecuting $1.1M breach of contract claim and obtaining a defense verdict against a multimillion-dollar tortious interference counterclaim in Texas state court.
- Solely responsible for successful appeal to the Houston 1st Court of Appeals affirming the trial court judgment dismissing a lawsuit based on a contractual forum selection clause.
- Second chair on trial team responsible for fact and expert witnesses in arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce regarding franchise agreements governed by Iraqi law.
- Solely responsible for witnesses, opening statement, and closing argument at bench trial in successful defense of property damage claim from allegedly negligent air conditioning services. Take-nothing judgment entered by Texas state court dismissing all claims against client.
- J. D. University of Houston Law Center, 2011
- M.A. in Legal Studies, Texas State University, 2007 (summa cum laude)
- Mediation Certificate, Texas State University, 2007
- Paralegal Certificate, Texas State University, 2007
- B.S. in Criminal Justice, Texas State University, 2006 (summa cum laude)
- S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- 2018-2023 Super Lawyer "Rising Star"
- Best Lawyers 2023 “Women in the Law – Ones to Watch”
- Houstonia Magazine 2020 Top Lawyer
- 2019 National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40
- Houston Bar Association / Communities in Schools of Houston Legal Internship Program Committee, Member since 2016, Co-Chair since 2018
- Fort Bend Junior Service League, Member since 2017, Co-Chair of Beneficiary Review Committee 2019-2022, Teen League Adult Advisory Board 2023
- Campus Planning Advisory Council (CPAC) at Jan Schiff Elementary since 2021
- State Bar of Texas, since 2011
- Houston Bar Association, since 2013
- HBA Litigation Section Member, since 2013
- HBA Appellate Section Member, since 2016
Outside The Office
What I do when not practicing law
Practice being a good Mom and Wife – preparing hearty breakfasts (usually a pack of muffins… frozen pancakes if they’re lucky) and balanced dinners (by adding a side of fresh fruit to the typical fast food or frozen lasagna options), transporting kids to/from birthday parties and sporting events, keeping whites out of loads of colors, and emptying the dishwasher before the sink is full of dirty dishes.
Favorite sports teams
I was born a Dallas Cowboys fan but, after living in Houston for 15 years, have learned to love the Houston Astros and Houston Texans.
Lobster, crab legs, scallops, or shrimp… soaked in butter, with a side of butter.
Most satisfying professional accomplishment
After giving my first closing argument, opposing counsel told the jury that it had been my first trial. After the verdict was rendered (in our client’s favor), the jury agreed to talk to the attorneys about their observations, and I received so many nice compliments! It was a very memorable moment.
Most satisfying personal accomplishment
Most recently, overhearing my elementary-aged daughter tell her little brother something that I frequently remind her of: “If you say you can’t do it, then you can’t do it. If you say you can do it, then you can.” Nothing is better than feeling like you did something right as a parent.
Quote I live by
I’m a quote-a-holic. Here are two of my favorites:
“If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” ~ Jim Rohn
“If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” ~ Booker T. Washington
Favorite vacation spot
The beach – the whiter the sand and clearer the water, the better, but I’ll take what I can get as long as it involves bright sun rays concealed by a nice breeze on my skin, Texas country music amidst crashing waves in my ears, and a cool drink in my hand.