As a shareholder at Hall Maines Lugrin, Reece focuses his practice on trying commercial disputes, including coverage and subrogation litigation involving the London and domestic energy insurance market. His breadth of practice over the last 20 years gives him a distinctive point of view with which to advise clients and represent them in federal and state courts, as well as arbitration tribunals. As recently noted by opposing counsel, “I found Reece to be an extremely well prepared lawyer who was well-versed in the substantive law and in evidentiary issues. He is the rare breed of litigator who can aggressively promote his client’s interest while still maintaining his professionalism.”
Prior to joining Hall Maines Lugrin, Reece served with distinction as a Texas District Court judge for nearly nine years, presiding over more than 125 jury trials. He also worked on corporate/securities matters for a national law firm, advising clients on mergers, acquisitions and public securities offerings. In addition, Reece taught Trial Advocacy at the University of Houston Law Center for over four years.
With a broad background of experience, Reece brings to the table an ability to see many different aspects of a case. His unique perspective allows him to quickly understand the issues—not just in the context of the courtroom but also in that of his client’s business. As a trial attorney in an energy boutique law firm, Reece frequently finds this perspective to be invaluable to the firm’s clients and that it often becomes the difference between winning and losing.
- Trial counsel for a domestic insurance company in a Texas state insurance coverage and bad faith trial involving almost $10 million in controversy; case is currently being appealed.
- Represented a drilling company, the oil and gas operator and the working interest owners of a well, as well as subrogated London and domestic insurers, in an almost $20 million products liability case involving defective blowout prevention equipment. The case was filed in Texas state court against two equipment manufacturers and oilfield rental tools-company; case settled very favorably two months prior to trial.
- Represented a drilling company during post-verdict motions and assisted in the appeal of a $1.5 million trial court judgment entered against the drilling company in a negligent misrepresentation and breach of contract claim by operator of oil and gas well; appellate court reversed and rendered judgment in favor of drilling company; case is currently in petition for review process at Supreme Court of Texas.
- Represented an oil and gas operator in defense of a saltwater contamination case brought by a landowner, as well as represented the operator and a subrogated domestic insurer in a recovery claim against the turnkey plugging and abandoning company hired to plug and abandon the well: case is currently active.
- Member of the team representing London underwriters in a Texas state court declaratory action and coverage dispute involving the underground blowout of an oil and gas well in Louisiana; case was favorably settled.
- Member of the team representing domestic insurers in a Texas state court declaratory action and coverage dispute involving pollution claims from tertiary oil and gas recovery operations in Mississippi; case was favorably settled.
- Member of the team representing London underwriters and domestic insurance companies in a federal products liability recovery action involving hundreds of millions of dollars in losses from a defective marine tether chain used in connection with a Floating Production Storage and Offloading vessel in the Gulf of Mexico; case is currently active.
- Represented manufacturing company in a premises liability personal injury matter alleging over one million dollars in damages; case settled favorably after mediation.
- Represented individual employee in a Texas state court trade secrets/unfair competition dispute; the employee was voluntarily dismissed from the litigation without any liability.
- As a judge, presided over many significant controversies involving millions of dollars. Decisions were affirmed on their merits by the courts of appeal almost 80% of the time, including special appearances, summary judgments, injunctions and trial judgments.
- Served as a mediator, arbitrator or special court master in almost 20 different matters.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1995, cum laude; editor of the Houston Law Review
- University of Houston (B.B.A.) Accounting, cum laude with membership in University Honors Program (now the Honors College), 1992
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Texas Super Lawyer 2017-2023, Thomson Reuters
- Houston Jaycees Five Outstanding Young Houstonians, 2007
- Texas Jaycees Five Outstanding Young Texans, 2007
- University of Houston Law Alumni Association Public Service Award, 2006
- Led all civil district judges in Harris County with an “Outstanding” rating of over 71% in his last Judicial Evaluation Poll conducted by the Houston Bar Association
- Former Chairman of the Board of Directors, University of Houston Alumni Association
- Board of Directors, University of Houston Law Alumni Association
- Lifetime member, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Directions and Assistance Committee
- Volunteer, Second Baptist, 2006-present
- Houston Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center Trial Advocacy Program
- Regular speaker at continuing legal education conferences on the national, state and local level
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Texas State Court (But Were Afraid to Ask), 17 November 2016
- How Not to Try Your Case Backwards, HBA Litigation Section Luncheon, October 26, 2016
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Texas State Court (But Were Afraid to Ask), 15 June 2016
- Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook, Jones McClure Publishing, contributing author with Justice Jeff Brown of the Supreme Court of Texas
Outside The Office
Biggest Professional Achievement
Being voted the most outstanding civil district state court judge in Harris County by the attorneys that practiced before me then, and against whom I practice now has been my biggest professional achievement.
Most Notable Personal Accomplishment
My wife and children are easily the most important and noteworthy personal “accomplishment” I’ve ever achieved.