Starting his legal career in 2007 at Hall Maines Lugrin, Wesley Keel rapidly gained valuable insight and experience in every facet of major litigation from pre-suit investigation to discovery, mediation and trial. He has also drafted briefs to the Texas Supreme Court and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Wesley’s practice is focused in the energy industry involving insurance coverage, subrogation, products liability and breach of contract. He has handled a variety of cases that range from well blowouts and product failures to pollution liability and contract disputes, and represents clients in both state and federal courts.
Wesley is particularly drawn to the energy sector because it allows him to be involved in many different factual and legal landscapes while remaining within the backdrop of the oil and gas industry. He strongly believes that success for his clients comes from being able to pay attention to the details while being mindful of the big picture and the result his client wishes to achieve. Mix this with his high energy and creativity and you have the practice philosophy Wesley employs to ensure the best possible outcome for his clients.
- Five-week trial in federal court regarding insurance coverage dispute under CGL policy. Questioned both fact and expert witnesses on direct and cross-examination. Also, prepared numerous pre-trial filings and handled the majority of the evidentiary issues pretrial and during trial and argued those to the court. This case had over 1,000 exhibits in evidence. At the conclusion of the trial, when the judge asked the jurors if they had anything they would like to say to the attorneys, one juror said, “I would hire Mr. Keel in a New York minute.”
- Two-week trial in state court defending against breach of contract, negligence and DTPA claims. Case involved failure of casing during the drilling of a well that caused loss of the well. Handled pretrial and post-trial issues, which included motions and jury charge. At trial, Mr. Keel also played the role of several deponents reading their testimony into the record from the witness chair. Though nominal damages were awarded at trial, they were overturned on appeal.
- Extensive motion drafting experience, including drafting and responding to numerous motions for summary judgment.
- Drafted appeals to both the Supreme Court of Texas and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Taken and defended numerous depositions.
- Argued motions in both state and federal court.
- Participated in several mediations and numerous informal settlement negotiations. Via both avenues settled several disputes favorable for our clients.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2007 (Member, Law Review)
- University of Tennessee, B.A. Business Management, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
Outside The Office
What I do when not practicing law
Love playing golf, tennis, fishing and cooking.
I am a fanatic about
Favorite vacation spot