Beginning his career serving as a law clerk on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Bill Maines has extensive trial experience representing corporations and individuals in state and federal court and domestic and international arbitrations. His practice focuses on disputes arising from complex business and commercial transactions, energy insurance coverage, oil and gas well operations and professional and fiduciary relationships.
Bill represents and advises energy companies, energy insurance underwriting syndicates, lawyers and law firms, corporate directors and officers, oilfield service companies, financial institutions and a world-class medical and research institution. Understanding that litigation can be an art form, Bill believes wise judgment, technical experience and meticulous preparation make the difference in achieving successful results for his clients.
Prior to joining Hall Maines Lugrin, Bill was a partner with Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP. He is an associate of the American Board of Trial Advocates and board certified in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Represented Texas-based energy company seeking $30 million in damages in claim arising from construction of offshore production facility (London Court of International Arbitration).
- Represented Texas-based energy company and subrogated insurers seeking $30 million in damages in products liability claim arising from blow-out in offshore well.
- Represented London-based energy insurance underwriters in claim for over $100 million in damages arising from Energy Package Policy.
- Trial counsel for insurance underwriters in claim arising from destruction of offshore oil and gas facilities; plaintiff sought damages of $30 million; jury awarded $9.5 million following six-week jury trial.
- Trial counsel for world-scale petrochemical manufacturer and supplier in claim against buyer for breach of open price term contract to purchase polystyrene; buyer asserted counterclaims for price discrimination under state and federal law antitrust laws, breach of the UCC’s duty of good faith and fraud, and sought over $5 million in damages; following a two week jury trial, obtained jury verdict in favor of supplier and against buyer on all claims. Case Study
- Trial counsel for CEO of energy company accused of breaching oral partnership agreement to form private equity fund; following jury trial in which plaintiff sought $7.3 million in damages, obtained take nothing judgment in defendant’s favor; affirmed on appeal. Case Study
- Trial counsel for senior executive in claims against former employer for value of equity stake in multiple limited partnerships organized by private equity firm; parallel litigation filed by partnerships against executive in Delaware Chancery Court; confidential resolution following arbitration hearing.
- Trial counsel for United States and European insurance underwriters in claims arising from Energy Package Policy; plaintiff sought $500 million in damages; lawsuit settled after one week of trial.
- Represented premier medical school and research institution in connection with various disputes, including issues relating to securities, real estate, tax recovery and scientific research.
- Represented energy company in products liability action against firing head manufacturer and oilfield service provider in claim arising from destruction of oil and gas well resulting in $30 million in damages; confidential settlement following extensive discovery and motion practice.
- Trial counsel for oilfield service provider supplying flowback services that allegedly destroyed independent energy company’s oil and gas well; energy company sought $16 million in damages reflecting attempted restoration and redrill costs; confidential settlement following extensive discovery and motion practice.
- Represented directors of upstream master limited partnership in merger and acquisition litigation; plaintiff sought injunctive relief and attorney’s fees.
- Trial counsel for onshore drilling company accused of destroying oil and gas well; plaintiff sought over $10 million in damages; two-week trial resulted in mixed jury verdict; court of appeals entered take-nothing judgment on plaintiff’s claims and rendered judgment in favor of defendant-client on counter-claim.
- Trial counsel for London-based insurance underwriters in lawsuit filed by independent energy company against underwriters and brokers; energy company alleged underwriters breached energy package policy and violated statutory and common law duties of good faith and fair dealing by refusing to cover all of the company’s damages following a hurricane and sought over $30 million in damages; confidential settlement following three week jury trial. Case Study
- Trial counsel for non-profit hospital system in antitrust lawsuit filed by for-profit acute-care hospital that went out of business; plaintiff alleged hospital system engaged in conspiracy to cause health insurers to refuse to deal with plaintiff; plaintiff sought damages exceeding $100 million; confidential settlement following jury selection.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, J.D., 1984
- St. Mary’s Law Journal, Associate Editor, 1983-1984
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts of Texas (all districts)
- Texas Super Lawyers, Top 100 in Texas List, 2018, Thomson Reuters
- Texas Super Lawyers, Top 100 in Houston, 2007, 2009-2012, 2014-2021, Thomson Reuters
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2003, 2006-2021, Thomson Reuters
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year in Houston, Antitrust Litigation, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation 2008-2022, Antitrust 2011-2022, Securities 2011-2022, Insurance 2017-2022
- Top Lawyer, H Texas Magazine, multiple years
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified in Civil Trial Law, 1997-present
- Iconoclast Artists Inc., a Texas nonprofit corporation, co-founder and Board Chairman, 2016-2018
- St. Paul’s Methodist Church, Artist-in-Residence Committee Chairman, 2014-2015
- St. Paul’s Methodist Church, Staff Parish Relations Committee, 2013-2015
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Speakers Bureau Committee, 2005-2006; Litigation Section; Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section