In today’s litigious environment, a groundswell of litigation against lawyers, engineers, accountants and other professionals has emerged as business deals go awry and the business climate continues to become more volatile.
Specializing in professional malpractice, our litigators defend professional liability claims against these professionals, as well as provide monitoring and coverage advice to insurers of high value professional liability risk around the country. In that capacity, the firm provides risk consultation on complex malpractice claims against plaintiff and defense counsel law firms.
Not only do we understand the legal complexities of professional liability claims, but we also understand the personal and business implications as well. Our expertise is complemented by professional degrees in engineering and business administration, and by practical, hands-on experience as in-house counsel managing litigation. As a result, we are in a unique position to understand the malpractice allegations that may arise for professionals. We also understand that, unfortunately, it’s not just business, it’s personal too
- The lines of professional liability business that we often handle include lawyers, accountants, architects, engineers and nursing homes. We have also been written into certain Texas law firm insurance policies as preferred counsel. We take pride in developing principled and positive working relationships with assureds and believe strongly in resolving coverage issues through negotiation, when possible, and litigation when necessary. Examples of monitoring/coverage matters we have handled include:
- Successfully resolving complex coverage and policy attachment issues involving the preeminent mass tort firm in the U.S.
- Monitoring/coverage advice regarding one of the largest SEC enforcement verdicts ever rendered against individual defendants
- Representing the insurers of one of the most prominent intellectual property firms in the country on a variety of high profile litigation matters
- Overseeing the wind up of one of the largest firms in the United States involving claims in excess of $2 billion
- Defending the insurers of a large Midwest U.S. law firm in direct action litigation involving the alleged withholding of environmental contamination over 20 years
- Negotiating the resolution of a legal malpractice class action of retired NFL players over alleged mishandling of underlying litigation against the NFL Players Union over image licensing rights.